Wednesday, May 4, 2022

The Tunnel to Nowhere

In one of my bipolar manic phases before I was diagnosed and treated, I got the brilliant idea that I wanted to dig a tunnel from my basement. The tunnel was just going to the end of my property line and just stopped. I felt that I’d get some exercise and channel my inner child at the same time. My colleagues were very encouraging of this idea and even came up with uses for the tunnel. One use was to brew lager beer since it needed cooler temps to brew and underground would be nice and cool. Another idea was to turn it into a gun range. It would prevent the sound from echoing throughout the neighborhood and I wouldn’t have to worry about the bullets going into someone else’s houses. Fortunately my wifes rational mind prevailed and she put a stop to the idea. Like I said, we had no clue that I had bipolar disorder or that I was manic and coming up with all kinds of grandiose ideas. But it does go to show just how irrational my mind had gotten at times. How does this relate to pursuing your dreams? You could say that I had a dream and that my wife squashed it. I have been talking about chasing your dreams all along no matter how crazy it sounds. Well, you could look at it that way, but in the end I had a plan without a goal. The plan was to dig a tunnel but I had no vision or end goal in mind as to why I was going to dig it. I was just digging for the fun of digging. Now that I think about it, digging isn’t really that much fun. The point is that if you are going to dig a tunnel, have an end goal and vision in mind. Don’t dig a tunnel to know where.

No comments:

Post a Comment