Saturday, May 7, 2022

Watch How You Describe Things

I finally broke down and put on a pair of reading glasses. They are not prescription, they just magnify things making it easier to see the words on the page. When I started telling people, I would say, “I’ve started wearing ‘cheater’ glasses” without thinking of the implication of the words I’m choosing. Many people wear reading and prescription glasses and they don’t like the negative connotation of calling them “cheater” glasses. People are not cheating by wearing something that allows them to read. It’s nothing to be ashamed of and the way I was describing them was making me sound like I was ashamed. So I need to grow old gracefully and start watching how I talk about it. If I start saying things negatively then it’s not going to be an easy road for me. Watch the words you say, they do matter. They matter how you feel about yourself and the matter to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment