Friday, May 6, 2022

How I Eliminated Most of My Stress

Rarely do you hear me complain about stress. I don’t get stressed out about work or going to the dentist. Pretty much I don’t get stressed about anything. But there was one thing that stressed me out to no end! It was the news. I was addicted to watching the news, so much so that I would have to read multiple articles from various news sources to get as much as I could on a particular topic. I was so addicted that I would do research and fact check the articles I read. I stopped paying attention to the news in 2017 and was living a blissfully ignorant life for a while. I would frustrate my Canadian mother-in-law because she would ask me what I thought about something in the news and I would say, “I have no clue, I don’t pay attention to the news.” She thought it was funny that a Canadian would know more about what’s happening in my country than I did. I was very successful until Covid hit. Then I had no choice but to pay attention to the news. This actually affected my life. I had to know what the risks were and how bad it was getting. This plunged me right back into the world of stress I had avoided. I even subscribe to NewsWeek and Time magazine. Eventually I had to say enough was enough. I went back to my ignorant bliss. If I needed to know something important I relied on my wife to tell me. My point is that the news causes so much stress and anxiety. Why pay attention to it? Does what you hear and read actually do something for you? Does it improve your life? Or like me does it make your blood boil and you start to go crazy? I recommend giving it a try. Stop paying attention to the news for a couple weeks and see how your stress levels go down. Take the time to enjoy your breakfast without your favorite news source on the tv, or that newspaper in your hand, or that article on your phone. However, you get your news just stop. Tell me how it feels after the craving goes away. That reminds me I have to cancel my NewsWeek subscription.

No comments:

Post a Comment