Friday, May 13, 2022

Uncomfortable Conversations

Recently I had to call up the head coach of my son’s hockey team and let him know that there is a good chance that my son will not be returning this year. This will hurt an already sparse team to lose another player. This was a conversation I had been dreading. It wasn’t anything the team or coaches had done. It was a simple matter of my son going to college and wanting to try out for a team that was closer so he wouldn’t have to drive as much to get to practice. I was really close with the coach since I’ve assisted him in coaching for the last two years. We had become good friends throughout that time. I knew that this would be very disappointing news. After several weeks of putting it off I knew I had to make the call. The call went pretty well, the coach was very understanding of my son’s reason for leaving. The conversation ended with us on good terms. Not that I expected it to be on bad terms but I didn’t want to feel like we had burned a bridge. The point is that sometimes in our lives there are uncomfortable situations that we have to face up to. You really shouldn’t avoid them and pretend they will go away. Force yourself out of your comfort zone and deal with the situation at hand. Once you get used to being outside of your comfort zone it will open up new possibilities for you in other areas of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment