Thursday, May 5, 2022

Capability v.s. Motivation

In the book Awakening the Giant Within by Tony Robbins, he says “Change is usually not a question of capability. It’s almost always a question of motivation.” There is nothing stopping us from changing then our own decision to change. We don’t have to wait for some external force to make the change for us. You can’t say it’s too hard, it costs too much, it’s out of my reach, etc.. These are all just excuses. Nothing is too hard if we practice enough. Nothing is too expensive if we buckle down and save for it. Trust me, nothing is ever out of your reach. As an example, I used to do projects all over the house. I used to do sheetrock, paint, build things, etc. Then I became lazy. My wife would ask me to do a project and I would say it’s too hard and that we should hire someone else to do it. She would get upset with me because I have all the tools to do it and I have done work like that in the past. She is right, it’s not too hard, I just don’t have the motivation to do it anymore. So I’ve made it a commitment to myself to remodel my basement office. It will take a lot of work but I’m not afraid to do it anymore. I’m exercising so I can’t say being out of shape is my excuse either. I have the tools, I have the knowledge, and I sure as heck want to save the money by doing it myself. So stop saying that you are not capable of doing something and start motivating yourself to do it. There is never anything too hard that you can’t achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment