Saturday, May 7, 2022

My Wife’s Concern

Due to my bipolar disorder my wife has been very concerned with the amount of time I’m spending reading and writing. She is justified in her concern because as stated in a previous post it’s a sign that I’m going manic. She has a hard time believing that I could be writing that many posts without it affecting my work. I explained to her that I do most of my writing between 6am and 9am in the morning. A full three hours of writing will produce a lot of posts. I assured her that I’m doing fine at work and it’s not interfering as well. She had no choice but to trust me. It got me thinking that the amount of time I’m spending in the basement is unhealthy. I need to be more open about my writing and when I do it. So I have a simple solution. As distracting as it might be, I need to start writing upstairs where I can be seen. Not as proof that I’m writing off work hours, but as a way of being there for my family when they need me. I’m already in the basement eight hours a day with work, I don’t need to be down there an extra three. If you have bipolar disorder, I highly recommend that you don’t hide yourself in a basement. Be open and honest with your partner and family about what is happening to you. Participate in your family's lives even if it is only to be upstairs reading and writing. Try to compromise and do what you love while being present with the ones you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment