Saturday, May 7, 2022

It’s Not About I

For years I have chatted a lot with people I met online. I love meeting new people and getting to know what their lives are like. It’s like having a pen pal somewhere in the world but you don’t have to wait on snail mail to get a message. One key thing I’ve learned about chatting with people is to stop putting the word “I” in the front of every sentence. An “I” focused conversation will assure you that the chat will not last very long. The whole point of chat is to learn about other people and not talk about yourself unless asked. This same lesson can be learned in real life as well. Notice how many times you start your sentences with the word “I” and see if it seems a bit excessive. Now I know that this is hard advice coming from someone who blogs about his life a lot, but I often try to post life lessons that I have learned. The more you ask other people questions about themselves the better your friendship will grow. Try to show interest in what other people like to do. You never know, it might make their day.

No comments:

Post a Comment